Monday, November 5, 2018

I Can't Shake That Evangelical Label

Part of me wants to shed that word "Evangelical" and simply be content with calling myself a Christian. The problem is that the term Christian is used broadly to describe pretty much any group that claims any vague belief in Jesus. Many New Agers claim to be Christian; they call Jesus a great prophet and teacher--and a god, just like all humans and animals. They would say, "God is all and all is God." Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses claim to be Christian. Ultra liberal mainline churches claim to be Christian. I don't want to pick on these groups; I'm just trying to make a point that "Christian" is a very broad term. How do I narrow it down to the nitty gritty of genuine Biblical faith?
Mornings with Larry can be purchased on Amazon:
 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HNQKB1L

One solution is to call myself an Evangelical Christian. In a recent post I explained that the word Evangelical is derived from a Biblical Greek word that means Gospel or good news. So, Evangelical Christians have a Gospel focus, that is we are grounded in the good news of the person and work of Jesus Christ. He is the only begotten Son of God who died on the cross for our sins and rose again. This is the Gospel.

Do you consider yourself an Evangelical Christian? One way to know for sure is to compare your beliefs with the statement of faith offered by the National Association of Evangelicals. Here's the link: https://www.nae.net/statement-of-faith/ . The following is the NAE statement of faith “As adopted by the National Association of Evangelicals”:
  • We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
  • We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
  • We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
  • We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
  • We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
  • We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
  • We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
So, if your beliefs differ from the above statement of faith, then you are not an Evangelical Christian. If you have doubts about your salvation or whether or not you're a Christian at all, then I would like to give you an opportunity to get saved and born again right now.

Romans 10:8-13 says this about salvation: "8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11 For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him.13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Pray the following: "Dear God, have mercy on me a sinner. I believe that Jesus is your one and only Son who died for my sins. I repent of my sinful ways and give my life to you. Please be my Savior and Lord. Transform my heart and mind."

If you prayed this prayer genuinely from your heart, then congratulations--you are now a born-again Christian! Now that you're saved, I recommend that you confess the NAE statement of faith. Personalize it by saying "I believe..." instead of "We believe...." By confessing this statement, you will be grounding yourself solidly in God's truth. Confess this aloud to God:

  • I believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
  • I believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
  • I believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
  • I believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
  • I believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
  • I believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
  • I believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Now that you are a born-again Christian, tell a fellow Evangelical about your new faith. Start attending a Bible-believing Evangelical church. Pray every day and read your Bible everyday. You are welcome to contact me (through this blog or Facebook) and let me know about your decision.  I would be greatly encouraged to hear from you. May the Lord bless you exceedingly!

No comments:

Post a Comment