Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The Place of Spiritual Growth in the Christian Life (Part One)

(Beginning today, my blog posts will be shorter.)

I need to start this blog series with a little confession: I've got a lot of flaws and I don't feel all that mature. One could argue that spiritual dynamos are the only ones who have the right to give advice about spiritual growth. If this were true, then I shouldn't be writing this. However, the topic of spiritual growth has always intrigued and frustrated me. Hopefully you, the reader, will identify with my struggles and perhaps gain a little comfort knowing you're not alone. And maybe both you and I will experience some spiritual growth!

What is spiritual growth? Chew on this Bible passage: "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." (2 Corinthians 3:17-18)

This passage says many things. First, freedom marks the presence of the Spirit. Second, we need to have an unveiled face that beholds God's glory. Next, transformation (growth) comes from the Spirit, who is the Lord. Finally, change is a gradual process "...from one degree of glory to another." This is a lot to take in and I'll tackle these concepts over the next several blog posts.

So, what exactly are these spiritual changes? In the past I've focused too much on my desire for behavioral change, as in being kinder, more giving, less selfish, less whiny, nicer, more honest, less lustful, less angry, etc.. These external behaviors are good, and are often the result of inner maturity -- but they are not actual spiritual growth.

True growth is a transformed heart and mind. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment