Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Place of Spiritual Growth in the Christian Life (part three)

Before I get accused of plagiarism, I need to mention and recommend a couple of experts who have influenced my thinking on spiritual growth and the Christian life. Some of what I'm writing about is inspired by Dr. John Coe, professor of Philosophy and Spiritual Theology at Biola University. Of course, I'm interpreting his teaching and adding many of my own thoughts, so don't judge him for any of my strange ideas. I recommend his free, 10-hour audio course, Spiritual Formation, which can be found at biblicaltraining.org. John Coe's speaking style reminds me of the classic nice-guy neighbor who's fun to hang out with. He seems like an everyday guy, but is actually a genius with more degrees than you can fill a thermometer with.
Bread and wine remind us of Christ's sacrifice of propitiation

Perhaps my favorite Christian "self help" author is Robert S. McGee, who wrote a classic called The Search for Significance. McGee focuses on the Christian's identity in Christ and what the Gospel has accomplished for us "now." This current blog post borrows much from McGee.

I feel like mentioning one more resource. On the biblicaltraining.org website, there's a great 3-plus hour course by professional counselor  Dr. Gary Lovejoy called Depression: When a Member of the Flock Needs Special Care. He gives a great overview of depression and its surprisingly varied causes and solutions. It's a great resource that can direct a depressed person in the right direction if they desire treatment. I mention this because sometimes people who are discontented with their lack of spiritual growth may also be depressed.

Let's talk about "the now" of who you are. I'm referring to the Christian's identity in Christ right now. A person becomes a Christian by believing that Jesus is the the only begotten Son of God and inviting Him to be their Lord and Savior. Several wonderful things occur at the moment of conversion. Although, probably the most obvious blessing occurs in the future ("the not yet") -- that is, when we die we will live again, experiencing blissful eternal life in the visible presence of God.

Back to "the now." There are four blessings of the Gospel that fully and immediately take effect in a Christian's life at the moment of conversion. They are propitiation, justification, reconciliation and regeneration. These theological terms may seem coldly academic, but they mean everything to the Christian. I'll briefly cover these truths in this and subsequent blog posts, but for a detailed study, read The Search for Significance by Robert S. McGee.

I really, really believe all Christians should strive for a deep understanding of these four Gospel realities. They form the basis of who we are in Christ and, for me, an awareness of them keeps me grounded and focused in my faith. In my daily quiet time, I always make sure to thank God for each of them. They are directly tied to what I'll refer to as the four "I ams" of who we are in Christ: I am loved by God, I am fully pleasing to God, I am completely accepted by God, and I am a new creation.

Propitiation proves that God loves me. In my last blog post I said I would explain how God could love and accept me despite my sins and failings. 1 John 4:9 explains how: "In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins."

God's greatest expression of love for the human race reached fulfillment when he sent Jesus to die on the cross as a propitiation for our sins. Propitiation means this: sinful humanity justly deserves God's wrath, but Christ became the ultimate sin offering, bearing the full brunt of God's wrath in our place so that we could receive complete forgiveness of sins. Isaiah 53:4-6 prophesies Christ's propitiation: "Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned--every one--to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all."

This is Biblical proof that God loves you and me. He made the ultimate sacrifice for us. It is the foundation of who we are in Christ. More to come.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to more - will be helpful in our Romans study (esp. 3.24-26)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pastor Roberts! I've learned much from your teaching over the years. Lord Bless.

      Delete